Sunday, March 14, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAD!


Disclaimer; Dan actually edited this picture not me. Guess he has a sappy side after all! ;op
Okay, so it is late, but as my mother has taught me, better late than never! (No offense mom I do think it is true). We celebrated Shad's first birthday two weeks ago. I will admit I was pretty overwhelmed to follow the Phillips' tradition of having the whole family over for dinner. Although we missed them it did stress me out a little less that we were short a couple people since Micah and Kenzy's family moved to Vegas and David and Emily are down in St. George. However, my parents happened to be in town that weekend, as well as my brother and an Aunt, Uncle and cousin of mine. It was great to have them and be able to share Shad's special day with them, however seeing as I am not a party-planner I was a little stressed. Thankfully both my mom and mother-in-law have done this more than a few times and were great to help me out either by getting the food, helping plan, or just helping get me more in the mood to celebrate this great event. The rest of the family was great too in contributing food and being here ready to have a great time! It is so hard to believe it has already been a year. Part of me feels like just yesterday I was waddling around barely able to breathe and feeling that first surreal contraction, but then pumping-nursing-nipple shields etc. all thankfully seem like a lifetime ago.
Shad gets more and more fun every day. He still LOVES music so we got him a little piano toy that plays songs and also lets you play it or even record, hopefully he likes it for a long time. He was of course spoiled by all of the family although he kind of missed that part because he decided to bail on his own party and go to bed.
We could tell he was getting tired so we hurried and did his cake before he fell apart, rinsed him in the bath and let him start on his presents.

However, it didn't take long to realize he wasn't going to last and so Dan was holding him while his cousins all helped out opening gifts. The next minute I look over to see Dan standing there without Shad. I asked where he was and he said he was in bed, asleep already despite all of the noise. I guess that means he had a great time, it wiped him out.

We had a really good time visiting with all of our family and are so lucky to have such supportive and fun family. We also had a game with about twenty pictures of Shad on a poster board with a letter and they were suppose to be put in chronological order. Unfortunately, when I went to do the answer key and had to cheat and use my computer I realized it was probably a little too hard. The winner had five right if that tells you anything. As of his actual birthday Shad had two teeth, his Right upper and lower incisors. While on vacation he got two more, the left ones to match and so he now has four teeth. He also is ALMOST walking. He took about five steps while we were in Hawaii and as I freaked out and got all excited Dan claimed he had seen him do that many times before. Amazing how I am with him every day all day almost and I hadn't seen it, but weird stuff happens I guess. Since being home he has increased to about ten steps and shows much more interest in trying on his own as opposed to hanging on for dear life when you try to make him do it. His vocabulary hasn't changed much although he did start saying Dad. Last Sunday on our way home from the airport he repeated it over and over until Dan responded to him, so that was pretty cute. More about our trip to come!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Well a late Happy Birthday to your baby! That is pretty awesome that he went to bed so easily with all the activities and people around. My girls actually have that same kitty keyboard and it has been a big hit. The microphone didn't last long b/c they yanked on it too much, but otherwise it is very durable.

Your Hawaiian vacation looks like it was heavenly.