Wednesday, May 5, 2010

This Mold House

So for the last week our house has been a disaster area, no really. I imagined this happening for very different reasons. Last Tuesday night following an intense discussion I had tried to postpone, Dan finally relented to letting me paint our oak kitchen cabinets white. I have been begging since we moved in a year ago and those who talk to me often know it became a bit of an obsession. I went to bed that night feeling a little guilty for being the more stubborn of the two of us and not exactly feeling that triumphant joy I had imagined would come when this day came. Trust me, I had imagined it plenty of times and had thought through the argument from every possible angle. Whether it was photo-shopping the cabinets in a picture to show how great it would look (the grain made this a little too tricky) or painting cabinets in another part of the house or simply painting a spare door I may have come across, I was willing to put in some serious work to win the stand-off. Unfortunately, as I mentioned I didn't feel as great about it that night as I had anticipated. Come Wednesday morning however, whole different story. I was on cloud nine and telling everyone that would listen how great it was. The excitement was short-lived. Wednesday afternoon I noticed water on my kitchen floor and to make a long story short ended up pulling out the dishwasher to discover the pipe from our kitchen sink and the two units above us was leaking under our cabinets and had formed a great petri dish of mold. I called the plumber and had the pipe fixed five hours later however, he informed me that we would need to have a disaster clean-up company come take care of the mold and the biohazardous water. They came out the next day and did a bid and then we had to deal with getting the HOA to take responsible etc. etc. finally Monday morning they came to clean up . . . and ripped out half our kitchen. This is what I came home to after work Monday night:

Come Tuesday morning Shad wasn't really fazed by the fact the kitchen had relocated to the living room but it certainly made things interesting for breakfast. We quickly gathered ourselves together with Solo and headed to my in-laws for the day. Fortunately, we came home around 8:00 PM to find almost everything put back together. There is a minor problem with the counter-top that needs to be resolved but it is nice to have this mess behind us. Now we can look forward to the next project, without water and mold.



5 comments:

Emily Judd said...

AHH!!! that is HORRIBLE! Glad you found the problem though. I think your cabinets will look awesome white!

Kenzy said...

What a mess!!! I'm sure it's nice to have everything taken care of. I think the cabinets white would be really nice too. :)

Jenn said...

Can't wait to see the cabinets! =) Good luck!

Tracy said...

Mold is awful, and you are so lucky it wasn't worse. My Dad did disaster cleaning for a while and that included cleaning mold in houses. I helped out on a few jobs and it was awful. Very awful.

I'm glad you have your kitchen back!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a mess! Glad everything is put back where it's supposed to be. Hey, at least you found the mold before it caused any health problems, right?