Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Happy Birthday Shad!

     Shad woke up to every four year old boys dream- a snow day!  Not only did we get about eight inches of snow, but dad cooked him pancakes for breakfast and ended up being home quite a bit today because campus was closed.  He was surprised to also find the kitchen table all decorated for his special day.  After spending some time at my visiting teacher's house while I went to an appt.  Shad and I came home and finished decorating his "worms and dirt" cake together.  He got a kick out of the worms, and who can't resist oreo cookie dirt?  I originally planned this because I have a very hard time with cakes and figured this would cover my hideous decorating.  Ironically this was the one time my frosting turned out great and could have gone uncovered.  At least I am making progress.  He and Dan then took Solo hiking and sledding.  Shad was excited to tell me about the big jump he went on and it sounds like they all had a great time while Bailey got a much needed nap.  Shad then spent some time jumping on the couch to music and "dancing" while I got dinner ready.  We made home made garlic cheese pizza with green olives.  Fortunately, green olives aren't dangerous for babies because when I turned my back to get something out of the fridge Shad snatched a few to eat and then generously shared with his little sister.  She was very happy about it.  Dan came home to start off the party and we had a fun accidentally green dinner and then opened gifts.  Shad was spoiled by many many generous friends and family and was very excited.  While Bailey got a bath Shad enjoyed his cake and then played for a while before being compelled to take a bath and go to bed himself.  Based on the dark circles and the chaos the house was in I think he had a perfect day!

Fun facts about Shad:

1.  He is starting to learn letters and show interest in wanting to write.  Seeing as he won't start preschool until next year I feel good about this.

2.  Shad LOVES anything mechanical or with engines.  He is all boy in every sense and loves to wrestle, ride bikes, hike, play with trucks, trains, planes etc.  He is also interested in almost any sport he sees.  He goes and goes and goes, and then crashes hard, even if it is only six thirty at night.

3.  He still struggles with a few pronunciations but I can't get myself to try to correct him, they are just too funny.  My favorites include Biaper (diaper), mopen (open), shish (fish), and scape (still don't know but apparently the whales at Sea World do it according to Shad).

4.  Shad would definitely say his best friend is Dad.  They have a sweet relationship and get each other's nuances, jokes etc.  Shad is always happiest playing with Dad.

5.  He still considers meals a necessary evil but is learning to eat better now that we are being tougher on him about not getting snacks before bed if he doesn't eat dinner.

6.  His favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip- maybe he has one single part of my genetics after all!

7.  His fiery temper and strong emotions actually prove he got more of my personality than is often realized.   He is also very sensitive.  When he threw a football and accidentally broke a figurine angel a few weeks ago he came up and said, "I'm sad, because I broke mom's angel."  Hard to be mad when it is obvious he feels so bad.  He is also good at reminding me when I need to give him a little more credit.  He innocently told me the other day "I did a great job!" He had, and I was glad we could talk about it even if I hadn't initiated the conversation.

8.  He is really good about playing at the gym, being baby-sat (he has a crush on his baby-sitter which helps) and going to primary.  I am glad he is independent even if he is shy when around other adults and me.

9.  Shad loves primary.  He is learning to really like the songs and even gave his first talk a few weeks ago.  He wanted his teacher to help instead of me, but he did the entire thing.  You may not have been able to hear a single word, but seeing as it was only his third week in primary I was amazed he stood up there for the whole thing and opened his mouth at all.

10.  Shad is a very good big brother and often if Bailey wakes up he will come tell me or I will suddenly hear him in talking and playing with her over the monitor before I have had a chance to go get her.  He still plays a little rough for her, but has a great capacity to be excited for her accomplishments, and shows a lot of love and tenderness through kisses and concern.  One of my favorite things is when he gets excited about her doing something and says "good job Bailey, good boy!"  We are still working on that one.

    Shad is a lot of fun and we are excited to see what new things will come with being four.  Hard to believe that it has already been four years since he came crashing into the world.  Pictures next!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I want to see pics! You'll love age 4, it's a super fun age. Happy Birthday Shad!