Saturday, November 15, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING














So I was in the grocery store a week ago Wednesday and happened to be on the phone with Dan. I figured I would ask what he wanted for dinner and get an "I don't care," as usual. Oh no, he decided he wanted Thanksgiving. For some woman this would not be a big deal. For me, enormous deal. First off, I don't do meals well. Dessert? SURE! any time. A meal? Not so fast. I have actually been known to make pancakes for sunday dinner and then have homemade brownies after. Dan admitted later he expected me to blow him off. Instead I laughed and reminded him I had never made a turkey in my life. He kindly pointed out that I could call my mom like I do for any other cooking question and get it sorted out. And, I must have been sick because I took the bait. He said later that since I laughed he figured he could push his luck. It worked, I bought a turkey breast, took it home and made turkey, potatoes, home-made gravy (yes actually from the drippings not a packet) stuffing and even cherry pie. (I had made pie crust a few days earlier and had some left over I needed to use) More miraculously than I actually tried, it actually turned out. Dan's comment when he walked in the door was, "even if it didn't turn out at all, I'm impressed." Needless to say I was pretty proud of myself. I also learned that it really isn't such a big deal and added a decent recipe to my scanty dinner possibilities. One success out of like twenty different tries at new ideas. It was a pretty exciting thing for me. Most of you who read this blog probably already knew about it because I called half the people in my phone the next day to brag about my big-girl accomplishment. Anyway, now that I already did Thanksgiving for two I just have to show up at my sister-in-laws with a couple desserts for the real thing and can feel pretty good about it. Sadly, I realize to most this is pretty embarrassing that i was this impressed.

5 comments:

Karissa said...

Wow, look at that pie! Impressive! Good job on the dinner!

Emily said...

I am super impressed! Will you be making that dinner "success" for us sometime soon?? I'd be happy to taste test it for you. :)

EMILY

P.S. I bet Daniel was shocked!

Jenn said...

Way to go Mikaela! That's a big step up from making witch potion underneath your kitchen table in Salem!!! Hahahaha

Dan said...

this blog is boring

Dan said...

this post is boring and the blog never changes