Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sometimes Things Take a While

Apparently, I am a little thick skulled. I know, you are so surprised. However, I had to laugh at myself. I was laying in bed the other night unable to sleep when I realized an enormous irony that really should have stuck my conscious thinking a very long time ago. As a kid one of my biggest fears was being terribly burned, but living through it. A certain magazine article that came out when I was six years old showing a little girl horribly scarred from a fire was probably the beginning of this paranoia. At that age I wasn't really aware of how terribly painful the experience itself and the recovery must have been, or the miracle that the little girl survived, I was only aware that the pictures were terrifying to me and I could never imagine if I had to look in the mirror and see something like that. (keep in mind I was six years old and I had been chased around the house by my sister and her friend with said pictures only making things that much scarier.) It was so bad I was afraid I would wake up, not realize I had been hurt in a fire until I looked in the mirror and then scare myself. I had an enormous fear of house fires and had a very hard time falling to sleep sometimes and would often pray that our house would not catch fire or that we wouldn't get burned. So . . .I am laying in bed the other night and realized that without really thinking about it I had named my child after a scriptural character that was protected from fire by angels. While that part of the story is remarkable it was actually not why we picked the name and I hadn't spent much time thinking about that portion of the scripture story (obviously or I would have noticed this about two years ago.) We liked that Shadrach had obeyed the commandments even when it was not the popular thing, and thought it was neat that he was taught by Daniel. Now though, the name just has that much more significance to me. Although I hope my son doesn't have the over-fearfulness of fire that I did growing up I hope he can have faith like Shadrach of the old testament and do what is right no matter what the consequence might be.

4 comments:

Britanee Walker said...

i remember you telling me that story about your childhood! i didn't put 2 and 2 together either but i also didn't think about the whole "Shadrach being taught by Daniel" thing. love that!! you're such a great mom :)

Daisha said...

Hmmmm . . . neat story and that you wrote it down is even better. And of course I remember exactly what picture you're talking about!

Unknown said...

That is interesting. Shad's name is perfect for him! I never thought about the being taught by Daniel thing either but I like it. We miss you and wish you were here this week too!

Brenda Burningham said...

That is a great story! Especially hearing how you determined to choose Shad's name. I didn't clue in on the 'being taught by Daniel until I read it." The name suits him in so many ways! I am sorry about the fear you had. All along I thought it was Ryan that was tormenting you with the picture. Maybe he and Brandi both used it - it apparently was very effective at getting you unnerved. Hopefully they don't have that Ensign issue packed away somewhere. Probably not. Ryan would already have teased you if he had it (like a certain video we hear about), and Brandi doesn't keep stuff for long periods, so you are probably safe. Hmmmm. Unless it is on one of my bookshelves? ..... ;)
Just teasing. I don't keep old issues anymore. The internet is now my favorite storage container of all time!
Love you! MOM