Monday, November 8, 2010

I am not the church arson . . .

First off, I must mentioned that yes, my husband did point out that it was actually October when I did my last post titled, "then it was September," So, I will explain now that I am aware that it is now November. Halloween started out with quite a bang for us. As our ward activities chair I was in charge or our trunk-or-treat. Due to a small committee busy with work and families we decided to keep it simple. Apparently, not simple enough. I showed up at the church about an hour before it started to get water heated and start setting out doughnuts-gourmet I know, you wish you could have been there. . . I pulled out the massive stock pot, filled it with water, set it on the stove and proceeded to leave the kitchen and walk around the church to unlock doors. I figured it was going to take a whole lot longer than five minutes for about five gallons of water to boil, even on medium high heat. Well, as I was coming back around the corner I notice some smoke in the kitchen, and a terrible scorched smell. This was when I realized that the burner with the canister of hot chocolate was bright red and the whole thing was about to go up in flames. Why on earth did I try to heat the hot chocolate without the water you are asking?!?! The stove knobs were backwards from my house and I hadn't paid close enough attention and turned on the wrong burner. I noticed this was a problem and tried to open the door and wave under the smoke alarm to keep it from going off, and after about a minute I thought I just might have succeeded. And then it all broke loose. Of course, I had no way to turn it off, had no numbers in my phone for people who could so I had to just ashamedly stand there and wait for the fire dept. to show up. Needless to say, I really wished at that point that the whole ward didn't live just over the fence from the parking lot, but live an learn and eat some humble pie I guess. My father-in-law had come over to help watch Shad for the evening since Dan was at work and kindly asked if I had seen the sign stating that the kitchen was for reheating only, not cooking or food prep. Guess now we know why. I joked later that I guess, I was getting released but they informed me you actually have to succeed in burning the church down in order for that to happen. Guess the guy who burned the chapels really didn't like his calling. . . . It still turned out okay, but I certainly didn't want to be there after that fiasco.

4 comments:

Britanee Walker said...

i know you don't get a laugh out of that story but i certainly do!! you bring excitement to the activities, that's for sure!

Mackenzie said...

I have eat my fair share of humble pie too! What a story you have to tell. Sad looked adorable as a chicken, perfect costume!

Kylen and Adrienne said...

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious, but the activity went great and everyone had a great time :)

Kenzy said...

That is such a funny story. You will remember if for a LOOONG time. It sounds like the party turned out great in the end.