I had about four pages of a post typed and then decided I wanted this sweet and simple. Like the trip we went on and the people we honored. We went up to Montana for the one year anniversary of my parent's accident. My dad's brothers had rebuilt his bike and a family friend rode it up so they could then have it finish the trip. As my uncle put it, it was kind of a holy mission of sorts. We spent the fourth of July watching fireworks in beautiful Kalispell and reminiscing on how perfect it was that my dad, the most patriotic person I have ever met spent his last night on earth celebrating Independence day on a motorcycle trip with his wife and brothers. He also happened to eat dessert before dinner that night. So perfect. You always knew my mom was having a great day when she sent out upbeat mass texts. Her last message to her children told us in part, " . . .light some firecrackers for us. . . I love you" We watched fireworks and thought of her and root beer floats and lighting fireworks on Mormon Circle.
The day of the fifth we went over to the bridge where they took their last picture together and once again talked about how perfect it was that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was one of Dad's favorite songs. Amazing how something in us can sometimes sense things we could never anticipate or imagine. Something in that song spoke to him long before it would be a perfect analogy to how they left this earth. It was gorgeous there and our family that couldn't be with us was certainly missed. Aubrey was sweet enough to blow these pictures up. The one of my parents from a year ago and our family picture our parents had framed that says, "Burningham Family is Forever" She wanted them and Ryan to be with us.
 |
| My dad's brother Gary and his wife Jeanna were amazing to come back and share this trip with us. We missed those who had planned to come and weren't able to make it. |
We stopped at the same place they made their final stop for some cookies and snacks. Thanks to Jeanna and Gary even Bailey was wearing appropriate Harley attire.
 |
| Jeanna spoiling Bailey, Bailey ate it up. |
We then rode out to the site of the accident. I was grateful to have seen so many pictures prior to being there, it felt familiar. Although the two crosses were a new addition. I am grateful to the organization who places them for all highway fatalities in the state of Montana. We spent several hours in the peace and quiet there talking and simply feeling close to them. There was no question that we didn't ride alone that day. It was a beautiful thing to be able to ride on the back of that motorcycle with my husband without fear. I know that my parents are just on the other side of that gateway known as death and we will be with them again. It felt safe, and carefree, and beautiful and sacred. It felt like coming home. Just off the road is a lake and sitting next to the water my siblings and I laughed at how it made us all want to get in a boat and spend a day on the water just like we use to. My parents happiest days were either on a motorcycle or a boat.
 |
| Me and Fuzzy- he was amazing to make the trip and honor my parents by riding their bike, and letting us girls ride with him. |
 |
| Gary, Jeanna, Kayla (seriously what a stud, she just got her bike and made this big trip) and Fuzzy and I. |
 |
| Who could resist? |
 |
| Us girls taking a moment by the Lake admiring the trees and Canadian Roses that brought Jeanna comfort the year before. The necklace we are all wearing is the same one my mom was wearing that day. My sisters and I had given one to Jeanna and my aunt Kris who had also been with them, and then they gave each of us one. It is a special treasure. I love that it is so big and blingy because people comment on it and I get to tell them why it is important to me. And it just screams Brenda. . . |
 |
| Despite plenty of familiarity with motorcycles, Dan and I had a iffy start. . .he is a little smaller than my dad and that is a BIG motorcycle. |
 |
| My uncle was cursing we were going to have a repeat. I just assured him that accidents at five miles an hour don't result in fatalities. As we picked up speed Dan certainly regained his comfort level. |
 |
| Despite searching for a long time for every possible piece last year apparently this one was missed. My brother in law found it right next to the fence where the bike ended up. The scrape it made in the rode as the bike went down was still there too. . . some wounds take a long time to heal and leave scars for a lifetime. |
It was hard to pull away and think of my dad's brothers and their wives having to get up and leave that spot one bike short a year earlier. Fittingly, his brother and sister rode his motorcycle away from the accident site this time. It was a beautiful symbol of healing, coming together as family, and moving forward. It was been a very long, hard year. We are so blessed to know we will be together as a family again and to have so much love and support around us. In some ways our family has grown larger since losing two members. Mom and Dad, I miss you every day and love you. . . can't wait to see you again at the end of the ride.
3 comments:
Wow, that was so beautiful. I love the blown up pictures you guys held. I'm sure your parents were there with you guys, no doubt about it.
You have me in tears Mikaela. Everything you wrote is so beautifully said! All my love to you and your family!
So glad you got some more closure. I think about them often and can't imagine the courage it's taken for you and your family to get through this last year. You're making your parents proud!
Post a Comment