Monday, November 12, 2012

Who Says Church is Boring

So I will start off with a confession;  I almost didn't go to church yesterday.  Dan is out of town so I would be alone with both kids and it was Stake Conference which means two things.  1.  We wouldn't be taking the sacrament.  2.  No one would notice we weren't there.  I had it all settled as I went to bed Saturday night.  Being up from three AM until Six and then woken up again at Seven sealed the deal.   Then I realized I would be alone with two kids all day on a day we couldn't go run errands, go swim at the gym etc.  I had no idea how we were going to entertain ourselves and decided to brave church after all.  I know, embarrassing.  So I scrambled to get us all ready, got dressed, braved the icy roads to the Stake center and was there a full thirty minutes early.  Seeing as it was Stake Conference that was intentional.  I picked a seat at the end of a row right by the door and settled in to let Shad play cars on the floor until the meeting started.  Then I realized I had picked a seat right next to the cold air return.  I tend to run on the cold side anyway and I happened to have soaking wet hair.  I was freezing.  Just then a friend walked in and invited us to sit with her family so her teenage kids Shad adores could help with him.  I promptly took the chance to change from my freezing seat to a warmer one with child care.  It didn't take long for Bailey to decide she didn't want to be in church after all and I got up to do our regular hall pacing.  It's how we make friends at church, meeting all the other parents pacing with rambunctious kids.  I was pretty disappointed since Elder Holland and Elder Eyering were speaking and I really wanted to hear their talks.  Fortunately, Shad was being quiet and entertained.  However,  after a while Susan got up and carried him over to the hall crying.  That is when I saw it.  His piece of Big Red was firmly stuck in his hair.  Apparently, he somehow flung his gum, got upset that he lost it and then got even more upset when he found it in his hair.  Susan spent the rest of the meeting in the hall with him trying to get it out with an ice cube.  Shad was soaked, shivering and very sad but AMAZINGLY good.  I would have done the honors however Bailey had fallen asleep in my arms.  I told her I would simply cut his hair but she felt bad since she had given him the gum.  Never mind that I had given him a piece on the way to church which he had given to me about three minutes before taking hers.  Finally, it was to the point where we were going to have to cut a few hairs to get the large chunk of gum out.  We borrowed a pocket knife and he was free.  Sadly, we missed most of the talks which seemed very good.  Elder Holland was especially jovial which I had never seen before. Shad was definitely not as calm about it when I tried to get the last few pieces out with Peanut Butter when we got home.  It was probably a good thing Susan did it, because he started screaming bloody murder as soon as I touched it later.  Certainly can't say it was a boring day at church.

1 comment:

Momma Ann said...

You are going to be sooooo glad that you wrote all this detailed information to share someday. I look back at some of my super crazy entries that my kids totally laugh over now and realize they are definitely not scripture history, but good enough to make a skit about it for our family reunion this summer. Loved all the detail and remembrances of young kids again. Also, how did you EVER get to have Erying and Holland in one stake conference? Unbelievable. You must be living right. Even in our satalite broadcast, we had only one apostle. Did you have a stake revision or something or do they just love the AZ people more?? And I have to concur that gum in the hair is one of the most stressful situations with kids. After a couple of major haircuts, I banned gum from my kids!!