Saturday, December 15, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

     For those of you who heard we moved to Arizona and started picturing sunshine and desert and lizards you were right.  But you were also wrong.  At 7000 ft Flagstaff isn't your average Arizona town.  First off, we have trees.  Next on the list, we get snow.  A lot of snow.  Despite the fact last year was supposedly extremely mild, according to history we get an average of over 100 inches per year.  That is more than Salt Lake's average of 70 inches.  It is even more than Rexburg, ID, also known by some as "the snow globe".  This weekend we got our first storm.  Just in time to really get in the Christmas spirit.  I will admit I actually love snow up until January. Then I would be fine never seeing another flake until the next December.  Also, I prefer to sit inside in sweats drinking hot chocolate, knitting, and watching it rather than playing in it.  I know, I am 29 going on 200 years old.
      No surprise that Dan is awesome about getting out and shoveling (he is a hard worker after all)  and playing with Shad.  After yesterday's horrific news in Connetticut Dan came home early and played with Shad all afternoon.  After hearing of such an enormous tragedy all we can do is pray for those dealing with the ultimate loss and hold our loved ones close.  He picked up a kids size shovel and sled on the way home.  Seriously, he is the ultimate dad!  They shoveled our driveway, then the back deck, then built another snow house.  Except this one has a window apparently. (I didn't venture out to the other side of the yard yet to see.)  Pretty awesome.  This morning, they got up had breakfast and were headed out to shovel again before I even got out of bed.  They are now taking Solo to go hiking and sledding.  Glad Shad has one parent that is the ultimate in fun and making memories.  

Loving it, even if he probably makes shoveling harder.

We don't have tall bushes.  That entire pile is the snow from the driveway from less than 24 hours.  Luckily, they are great about plowing here so the streets are pretty clear.

They shoveled the deck yesterday, but it looks like this now.

The doorways were much bigger before it continued snowing all night.

The view out our dining room.  Not exactly cactus and palm trees.  Fortunately.

2 comments:

Momma Ann said...

Looks soooo fun. And yes, Dan is quite the man!!

Jenn said...

SOOO pretty!!! I'm way jealous, my boys love the snow but I'm with you...hot chocolate and a book is my idea of a good time (does that make me seem less of an old lady than you since I don't knit?) :)