Thursday, August 22, 2013

Phillips Family Vacation 2013

  Each year Dan's parents are generous enough to provide a family vacation with all of his siblings and their children.  It is much anticipated even each summer.  The last few years it has taken place in St George, Utah.  This years trip was the last week in July.  Prior to leaving I was speaking to a sister in law who was complaining about their camera.  I offered to let her use one of ours for the week since we have to.  I then promptly forgot both.  I felt terrible for us, but more so for her.  Unfortunately, that means I don't have a single picture from this year's fun in the sun.
     Most of the time was spent in or around the pool.  After all this was St.  George in July.  We certainly were not use to the heat.  Despite still considering it an option if Flagstaff doesn't work out and being the number one place Dan would like to live I heard him say, "Man, it is hot!" three times within the first twenty four hours we were there.  That is saying something coming from him.
      Other than the pool there was family skits, great cooking, and a fun day spent at Sand Hollow. Some of the family went to Zion's hiking for a day.  I stayed back not wanting to hike in 103 degrees.  I didn't regret it.  Lunch with Karen, Michelle, Mark and Tessa definitely beat cooking to death.  The best part is simply spending time with Dan's family, especially now that we live the farthest away.  It wouldn't be a Phillips family function if Dan and his brother's weren't in a contest to shock everyone the most.  As usual, it led to some interesting experiences.  It was also good to let the kids spend some time getting reacquainted with the Phillips clan before they were left with them for a week.
     It is still a little hard being in St George since it was on this same trip two years ago I found out about my parent's accident.  Sand Hollow choked me up a little when we got there because that is where we had spent that day and I hadn't been back since.  However, it is amazing how time heals even the deepest wounds.  I can now appreciate that my kids have an AMAZING set of grandparents here that they get to know in this life.  And another set watching over them that they will get to know in the next.  I am so grateful for that perspective and the great family we have that loves our kids and us.

No comments: