Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Shad's First Race

     After watching many cousins, aunts, uncles and his dad do several races Shad was very interested in doing one of his own.  Dan got online and found a one mile fun run to sign Shad up for.  He had to fudge about his age since they technically were required to be five years old.  I wasn't too worried since Shad's fitness level is probably better than mine.   They both took it pretty seriously and even went out for a few training runs etc.  Shad was pretty disappointed to find out he didn't get to wear headphones and have music like he has seen the adults do though.  The morning of the race he was very excited, we had to wake him up early but  he was ready to go as soon as he was reminded it was the day of his race.  Him and Dan had breakfast and got ready while Bailey and I dragged ourselves out of bed.  It turned out to be a really great experience.  Also, I figured out why adult race fees are so high, they only charged the kids $5.00 and gave them a number, medal, t-shirt and water bottle that changes color whether it is hot or cold.  Thanks to all the adults that paid six or seven times as much! Shad was thrilled with his race gear.  I also couldn't believe how fast these kids were.  The first kid came in at about five minutes and Shad amazed me doing it in under nine minutes!!!  Not too shabby for a four year old with short legs.  Dan ran along next to him to encourage him and make sure he was okay etc.  I was really nervous the starting gun might freak him out but he had a great time.  The only thing he was disappointed about was that he saw a girl running with her dog and he didn't get to bring Solo.  (Considering Solo would have dragged him all over the place saying hi to all the other dogs at the race it would have been a disaster, even if we had thought of it.)
"Does this face make me look excited?"

Getting ready to start.

Just about to finish.  When I noticed the back of the shirt on the woman in front of me I got pretty teary eyed-hard to believe two years have gone by already.  Also reminded me of my dad's sweet assistant running in memory of my parents and her own dad the whole next year following the accident.

He did awesome!!! I don't know if he or Dan was more excited about it!

Bailey had a great time too eating her breakfast and people watching.  Right after this I asked if Shad wanted to do it again and he turned to run back over to the start line that instant.  I am glad he had such a great experience.  


No comments: