Monday, August 26, 2013

Ten Years

   The day after Dan's birthday in April he suggested we consider going away for our ten year anniversary.  Before allowing myself to get excited I quickly asked if he meant with or without the kids.   He informed me he meant a vacation without the kids.  Still hesitant to get too excited (although I was already really stoked) I asked what exactly he had in mind.  After all there is a big difference between Prescott AZ or say, Bora Bora.  He was thinking less like Prescott.  I immediately agreed trying to play down that I was jumping out of my skin and quickly ran downstairs to call my sister nearly in tears after just two days before saying how badly I just needed a vacation.  I quickly became obsessed with the trip and possibilities.  After several weeks and lets admit it, several arguments due to my own high expectations, Dan told me to just do what I wanted.  A very large amount of time spent on tripadvisor led me to pick Jamaica.  It was warm, tropical, green, the same price as Mexico and you can drink the water while speaking English.  The last nail in the coffin was when I read someone making a comparison and stating, "do you like reggae or mariachi music better. . ."  Enough said.  Not that there is anything wrong with Mexico by any means, there was just something about Jamaica that appealed to me, I think the biggest thing being the greenery.
    We flew out at Midnight the saturday before our anniversary which meant we got there around nine in the morning.  It was a long night of traveling, but I figured we could sleep on the beach, and frankly I wouldn't have slept due to excitement anyway.   While waiting to disembark the plane we were informed there were some technical difficulties.   A few minutes later the captain came back on to inform us that we couldn't get off the plane because they couldn't get the jet bridge working correctly and were afraid it would fall if we got off the plane.  Not the most reassuring thing to hear ten minutes into landing in a third world country.  However, I had made a very solemn promise to myself to just relax and enjoy our time together regardless what happened.  We eventually got off the plane and through customs and I immediately couldn't help but notice how friendly and nice the people were.  We then got on our bus with three other couples to head to the resort.  After a while it became apparent our bus was not in great shape.  We had to pull over a couple times and eventually they called for another bus to meet us.  At this point I was starting to get nervous about my choice.  However, once we got to the resort I wasn't disappointed by a single thing.  It was absolutely beautiful with fun little paths all over and secluded hammocks or spots to relax.
     We spent the next six days relaxing on the beach or by the pool, kayaking, paddle-boarding, snorkeling, enjoying a water-fall excursion, trying scuba for the first time, doing Yoga with a Rastafarian, wake-boarding, and enjoying great food in an absolutely beautiful place.  I know it wasn't exactly the vacation Dan would have picked but he was so sweet to just go and have a great time for me.  I had such a great time with him and loved nearly every minute.  Dan also took a couple runs into town and got some lap swimming in. The resort also had a steel drum show one night which was one of the highlights for me.  Not only were they incredible musicians, they all had moves!  Just another reminder that I didn't get a single ounce of rhythm and some people have it in spades.  Every person at the resort was extremely friendly and easy going- I loved the people.  They were all super happy and easy going too.  I had read it talked about online before but they really would sing to themselves whether they were raking seaweed,  sweeping walks, mixing drinks, or serving you at one of the restaurants.   I felt like Baby in Dirty Dancing, no, I didn't want to hook up with them, I just wanted to go hang out with them and learn to dance!  It was a great trip and I am so lucky to not only have been able to go, but to have been able to have a ten year wedding anniversary with the love of my life to celebrate.  I am lucky to be married to a great guy who works hard and puts his family before anything else.  I loved having a full week alone with him!  We were spoiled to have Dan's family watch our kids and had a great week in paradise.
One view from our balcony:  Despite not getting a more expensive room we agreed we actually got one of the best views in the resort.  

Looking out the other way:  The view from the triple window in our shower looked out this same way but showed more of the ocean and was a little prettier.  The maids kept closing the blinds for turn down service, but I would open them right back up.   The view was too pretty to cover up even if it was the bathroom window.  

Pretty area near the mineral pool- we spent a lot of time there.

The picture I took prior to this Dan gave the camera the finger, I gave up after this since it was apparent he wasn't cooperating.

Cute little gazebo-there were a couple weddings here.

Looking at one part of the resort from another.

Walking from our room to another part of the resort.  Their is a small private section of beach here with a gate going into the ocean as well as a staircase leading down to a natural mineral spring that is suppose to take ten years off your appearance.   The picture also shows how thick the foliage was, it nearly made a tunnel over you.

I absolutely love Hibiscus flowers and they had varieties I had never seen before.  These were right outside our room and we could pass by and see them folded closed at night and in the morning and then open with the sun.

A separate portion of the resort, not the main beach near the local beach that gets the best sunsets.

Pictures never do sunsets justice.

A vendor at sunset beach selling conch shells.  He also rolled a joint and started smoking it right in front of us.   He was a nice guy, as they all were.  

main beach looking at the ocean on the one drizzly overcast day.  It was still hot and we made the most of it.   Kayaking, paddle-boarding and snorkeling kept us entertained and it doesn't really matter if it is sprinkling if you are wet anyway.  

right back to where it all started-Dan and I actually met wake-boarding.  Fortunately for the jamaicans Dan didn't do it in a speedo like he did eleven years ago.  Although they may not have noticed anyway as they were pointing out the pretty jamaicans to each other on the public beach.  Also, the calmest water was right next to the nude beach so a speedo wouldn't have really fazed them.

It took me my whole time to really get comfortable on the board.  I always say I don't really get into and get aggressive until I have crashed once.  By the time I had my good break in crash it was time to head back in.  

Near the water-sports shop.  I asked some friends we made to take a picture since we didn't get any pictures of us actually kayaking or anything.  Our camera wasn't water proof  and I never thought to ask someone else on the beach to take pictures while we were out doing stuff.  At one point when Dan and I were goofing off and both standing on my paddle board an employee passed on a kayak.  When he noticed we were on the same board he said, "hey! you should get a picture!" I still didn't.  

Relaxing in the mineral pool.   I loved that every lounge chair at the resort had a floaty on it.  When  you got hot or just wanted to relax in the water you could just grab your float and go.  We spent hours and hours happily "floating".  At the mineral pool it was often pretty quiet and you could float without worrying about running into people.  Dan also figured holding onto a pole worked if there were other  people in the pool.  Out at the beach there was a swimming rope you could hold onto to keep from drifting off.  Also, not going to complain about the hunk on the floaty either.  

A view from our balcony at dusk, right about the time the tree frogs go crazy.  Dan asked the first night if they were going to make noise like that all night.  I was a little concerned not knowing the answer, but it turns out they quiet down right around the time we wanted to as well.  It was fun to lay in a hammock and listen to them while the stars came out.  There were two hammocks right below one of our windows,  I kept forgetting that since we mostly saw the ocean and would walk in front of it to the closet to get dressed.  Oops, hopefully no one was traumatized. 

A little garden by the lobby.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my word!! It is gorgeous!! And I'm guessing you'd say the pictures don't do it justice! So glad you guys had such a great trip and a chance to relax and just be together. :)