Saturday, December 20, 2008

To a Great Father-in-Law

Okay, so I am spoiled with great in-laws.  I know that, but today my father-in-law proved just how totally awesome he is.  No wonder where my husband got it from. Which on a side-note props to Dan once again for being a great husband.  I had to feed the horses last night and it was snowing like crazy.  Last year this wasn't such a problem since we lived ten minutes away from the barn on roads that were usually pretty clear.  However, yesterday I was pretty afraid to make the trek out there alone. Not to mention that hauling two bales of hay around in snow and all bundled up is getting ridiculously more difficult.  Dan was sweet enough to drive all the way out there with me run an errand while I did most of the feeding, and then play with the dog in the freezing snow while I finished up.  (hallelujah for Carharts and Jessica doing the waters for me).  This was huge considering Dan is not a huge fan of being at the barn, the cold weather, traffic, or being out in crowds.  He had to do all of those things just to make me feel better about going out in the weather.  It was a nice memory for me to watch him play with Solo in the snow with the horses contentedly eating and it mostly quiet as it got dark.  Which I am sure Dan will make fun of that sappy comment later.  Altogether though, it was a three hour adventure and I was VERY grateful to Dan.  ANYWAY, back to my father-in-law,  it all started when I needed to finish my christmas shopping and didn't have anyone to go with for many varying reasons.  Knowing my mother-in-law would likely be shopping today as well I figured I would give her a call and meet up.  Turns out I was right... most of the family may even be able to guess what store she was at.  However, she also happened to be with her husband.  They assured me they wouldn't mind the company and I went to meet up with them (I know, very strange for someone to actually want to do this, but I said I have great in-laws).  I met up with them and took care of a few things and then my mother-in-law had a nail appt.  I needed a few things from a certain store and my father-in-law, Gene, said he could use going there too to look for something so we decided we would go continue shopping and meet back up with my mother-in-law after her appt.  Well, we finished up before her and in our shopping I had mentioned I needed socks.  My in-laws had told me I might as well get them while I was out.  I explained I needed compression socks due to a pesky vein in my left calf causing my left ankle to swell enormous (even for me who happens to have cankles when not pregnant)  and my calf to get sore.  So, what does Gene do?  He heads over to Wal-greens with me, walks right down the feminine products aisle, (despite the fact the compression socks aren't on that aisle) doesn't blink an eye about wandering around with a significantly younger pregnant girl, helps pick the right socks out and even insists on paying for my old lady socks.  Thanks so much Gene, you are awesome! My calves will thank you later I am sure! We met back up with Karen and had lunch and it was nice to finish up my shopping without having to brave the craziness myself.  Wow, I just realized how co-dependent this post makes me sound, but really I just get bored by myself. I really can manage going places alone . . .

3 comments:

Dan said...

what a sappy comment about the horses, your husband, and the dog

Emily said...

Gene pretty much wins the best father-in-law award! He's a great example to the boys, that's for sure. I'm glad you were able to get your "old lady" socks. :)

EMILY

P.S. I'm glad to hear you don't mind what the colors are for the baby blanket, I just don't want it to be one of those presents that you're thinking, "that's hideous!" Hopefully I'll have it done this week so you can see it soon.

Unknown said...

LOL! Mikaela, that post was hilarious. I loved the rambling grateful tone. Dan, way to go on scoring points with your wife. That can be hard to do when she's pregnant. I miss you guys. I wish we could have hung out more while we were in Utah. I hope finals went well. Merry Christmas!